السبت، 12 مارس 2011

Shades of my paranoia

So yesterday morning I was convinced Jack had cancer. Now everyone who knows me knows that I am normally an optimist by nature. It even annoys my husband at times. It is rare but once in awhile I jump to the worst conclusions. Especially when it comes to the dogs. I'm unsure if I do it as a way to prepare myself for the worst, or as a way to feel better about the vet bill I am about to have. I mean if it isn't something big and bad then you are relieved no matter how much it cost to find out. Of course it could also be that I am just crazy. (I'm gonna blame genetics for that one.)
*
In my defense I see a lot of bad things at work. And I know a couple people currently dealing with cancer in their dogs. So it happens. More than we like for sure.
*
So here's what happened to make me think the worst: After I fed the dogs I had to give Jenny her pills. Well I give them in some canned food and it wouldn't be fair if I didn't share with Jack too. When he took his off the spoon he acted like it hurt him. Hmmm that is odd. So I looked at his teeth (mouth closed) and didn't see anything out of sorts. So then I decided to look inside his mouth. Well when I went to open it up he yelped. OK that is definitely not good. Of course it must be because he has some kind of oral cancer. I had convinced myself that I had missed all the early clues. His drooling a little more on that side, and Jenny's licking his face were signs. Because of course she was trying to tell me something and I am an idiot and didn't pay attention. What is wrong with me? I am such a bad owner! (I know, such rational thoughts right?) So I skipped breakfast, because I was freaking out, packed him up and took him in to work with me.
*
Thankfully after being a fabulous patient it was determined that he just has an abscess along a back tooth. (He even let the Dr. push on it.) So now he's on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. We'll re-check him Monday to make sure they are working and see what the status of it is. He may also need a dental soon.
*
So it is likely NOT cancer of course. I say likely because he isn't all better yet. I'll only feel 100% about it when he is 100% healed. I am very thankful that it is something pretty simple all in all. I joke now but it was a scary morning for me. Rational or not. Please tell me some of you over react like this sometimes too.
*
For anyone who does have a dog with cancer, I found this website that looks helpful: http://www.themagicbulletfund.org/

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق