الأربعاء، 16 يونيو 2010

Jack goes to work

Today I took Jack with me to the prison to play with Walker. I thought they might be a good match based on both of their play styles. Walker needs to be around other dogs more as well. This time Walker settled down much more quickly than the last time I brought Jack. The rule is no playtime until everyone is nice and calm. I figured Cooper would probably be to forward and I was right. Cooper tried to pick a fight but I was prepared for that. Jack may be pretty good with some dogs but not the ones who want to start something. So that meant Cooper got to sit today out. Cooper does best with dogs he can boss around. That ain't Jack.


Walker was a bit intimidated at first and ran away from Jack in the beginning. That became a chase game. We tried to get them interested in tug but they weren't quite comfortable enough with each other for that just yet.

It was pretty warm out so they got tuckered pretty quickly. Walker definitely likes being around other dogs. I hope we can find him a home with a buddy to play with.


Every time I bring Jack with me I end up doing a fair amount of "Akita" education. There are always a lot of questions about him. He definitely attracts attention. I am lucky to have such a social akita. They aren't all so accepting of dogs they don't know. It is even written in the breed standard: "Akitas may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex." Unfortunately some of that is leftover from their having been used in dog fighting for sport in their past. Sadly some breeders use that as an excuse for them being that way instead of trying to breed away from it. I remember complaining about it on an akita e-mail list (long ago when they were as popular as facebook) and was told, "If you want a Golden Retriever temperment then you should get a Golden Retriever. Akitas just aren't going to be like that." Here's an idea, breed AWAY from that sharper temperment. It is obviously possible. Heck they even did it with fox years ago. (google Russian Fox Study)

Of course I'm not a breeder, so perhaps the fact the breed doesn't have the largest gene pool doesn't help. (depending on who you talk to) I do think in todays society there is no place for purposely breeding dogs that want to kill other dogs. We all have to live on the same planet and in the same neighborhoods after all. End of rant. I am just happy to have an akita that is more social than some. Of course I worked hard to help him be that way with lots of good socialization when he was young. It's hard to say how much nature vs nurture is at play. Of course he is from a fabulous breeder so I'm willing to bet it was a combination of both.

Jack prefers to hang at home or run in the woods with his friends to the more formal obedience work that Jenny will do for hours. (Let's be honest, her stomach keeps her going.) But he sure does make a great partner when I need him to be. It's kinda nice being able to take your best friend to work with you. I love my job!

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق