الجمعة، 26 مارس 2010

How to make your own Rally O sign holders

I admit it. I love finding ways to make something that saves me money. This idea came to me after seeing this post: http://rottweilers.brilliant-disguise.net/2009/06/14/rally-obedience-signs-the-illustrated-version/

However I feel I have improved on the original model. First you start with a section of cheap garden border fencing. It looks like this in the store. (This is a 18 inch by 8 foot section folded in on itself.) This is one section from the fencing.

You can go this route and simply clothes pin your sign to the section with it pushed into the ground like this:
Notice I didn't cut the end pieces off yet. (seen on the right side-those should be cut off if you are going to make these type of holders) I wasn't completely happy with that model because it meant I could only use the holders outside on grass and soft ground. I thought about it and came up with this design instead:
I simply turned the section over, cut off the side pieces, bent the pieces that would normally be pushed into the ground, and then bent the now bottom piece under so it would be a stand alone piece. Here is another view:

And from the back:
Now don't throw away those cut off side pieces.
On windy days those can be used as tent stakes (on grass or soft ground) to keep the sign from blowing away. You just need to open them up abit so they fit. Needless to say I am VERY excited to finally have some affordable Rally sign holders. One ten foot section has 6 sections and only cost $4.47 at my local Lowes store. That equals 6 sign holders. Since you need 28 signs to do a full course you can get enough to make 30 holders for under $25 total. Much better than the 50 or 60 bucks I see the official rally sign holders selling for. Plus they are very easy to make. All you need is a pair of wire cutters and pliers. I made this one during my lunch break. (and took most of the pics then too) Quick, easy and cheap. The trifecta of back yard do it yourself. VBG
*
I downloaded and printed off a full set of beginner signs awhile ago on one of the the many Rally e-mail discussion groups. I keep them in a binder in plastic covers. This means I can keep them organised and find which ones I need easily. I also leave the plastic on to protect the signs from damage from the elements. I do need to go through and see which kind I have (AKC vs APDT) and to also check and see if any have been changed since I downloaded them.
I also printed off a few set course maps. This helps me be able to come up with practice courses aside from my own which may not be proper. (I readily admit that I am pretty much a Rally beginner.)
I have been taking a Rally class locally with Jenny which has been a lot of fun. It has gotten my own training juices flowing. So much so that I sent in Jenny and Jack's application to APDT so I can compete in either venue if I desire. I also finally got Jenny's corrected AKC pal listing paperwork back so she is all official now.
*
I hope this idea is useful to other Rally O converts out there. Rally On!!

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق